Our office in Santa Barbara asked us agents to relate some wacky stuff that has happened to them over the years …. Sort of a “day in the life of a real estate agent” sort of thing. Got me thinking back to some of the ridiculous things that have happened. Here is my list. All of these things have happened to me at least once, sometimes more. And you all think being a real estate agent is easy!!!!
- Agent being chased or licked by a horse, cow or rooster during a showing (all have happened to me).
- Buyer gets knocked over by horses butt.
- Agent trips and falls in squirrel hole in a pasture ... then buyer does the same thing on purpose so the agent doesn’t feel stupid.
- Agent tries to shoo cows out of the road so they can get by with their client in the car and steps in fresh cow poop in the process.
- Agent cleans up dog poop with a pooper scooper then takes dog for a walk so the showing can happen.
- While standing on the lawn during a showing, the sprinklers come on.
- Seller is passed out drunk on the sofa snoring and won't wake up so the agent just shows the property anyway.
- Agent has to get a ladder and rescue a cat from the roof because it’s making so much noise the showing won't go well.
- No, you can't just show a photo of the money inside your home safe and have that be good enough to qualify as proof of funds.
- Agent is half way in and half way out of a raised floor crawl space with her feet sticking out (yes, like the Wicked Witch of the West) so she can see the raccoons living under there.
- Agent has to remove a dead squirrel from the pool quickly before the buyers show up (actually on another occasion, a deer had been attacked by a mountain lion and the listing agent had to break out a shovel and bury it before the buyers came - that was super gross ... and on another occasion, the buyers kids were found by the pool throwing rocks from opposing sides of the pool to see who could make the drowned rat go to the opposing side of the pool the fastest). What is it about pools????
- Agent is showing a vacant property at night when the cops show up with guns drawn (neighbor had reported a burglary in progress).
- Mother cat had kittens so everybody ended up in the master closet sitting on the floor playing with the kittens.
- Agents vehicle battery spontaneously died in the entrance to the driveway on Halloween. Nobody could come in or out until the tow truck came hours later.
- Client was in the military and lived in Japan and couldn't come here until after the sale closed. They didn't see the house in person until after they had paid for it - talk about pressure!
1799 Cougar Ridge Road, Buellton (4/3 on 20 acres) $1,349,000 For the horsey folks out there that like a lot of privacy, this one is for you. This area is pretty sandy and forgiving which is good for horses feet. My mare lived on sand for years which definitely added to her usable lifetime (Dr. Herthel (RIP) once told me that much of the colic they see at the clinic is from grass, not sand). Nice runs which can be seen from the house for you horse mommies that like to be able to see their horses all the time. Small arena is augmented by miles and miles of private riding trails in this gated ranch community. Near the end of Cougar, the privacy here is pretty unique. Listed by Chris Jones of BHHS Santa Barbara.
Back on Market
2834 Grand Avenue, Los Olivos (2/1 on .16 of an acre) 839K Listed by Christine and Evan Lash of Grand Avenue RE.
**Click on each hyperlink to see the listing office related to each property. Property links may not open if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser. Transactions noted here were completed by myself and other Realtors. I clearly identify those that I participated in. The hyperlink to each listing shows the listing office name if you would like to contact them directly. If you aren't already, please ask to be on my Daily Real Estate Update email list to receive the complete blog post with pics and aerials sent to you daily via email versus you having to remember to check my website or Facebook. Due to recent copyright issues, pics only appear on the email version. The identity of those on my list is not shared and I don't spam anyone. My daily updates are not a complete list of everything that happened today but instead events the general reader might find interesting or items you need to know to make good decisions. These informational items are also readily available on a variety of other sites. Readers should consult other venues of information gathering to find out more or to complete their information gathering efforts but this is a great place to start and I write every day Monday through Friday letting you know what I know. I will NEVER send you a request to wire money. If you ever receive a request from me to wire money, it is a scam. Do not reply to it but do forward it to me at email@example.com for further investigation by our company tech staff. Real estate related wire fraud is rampant worldwide.
Sharon Currie Realtor License #01357602 805.448.2727 firstname.lastname@example.org
Nina Stormo Realtor License #01341678 805.729.4754 email@example.com
Berkshire Hathaway Home Services BRE#01317331
Physical: 2933 San Marcos Ave #102, Los Olivos
Mailing: P O Box 778 Los Olivos CA 93441
w: Daily Blog www.sharoncurrie.com
Visit me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SYVRealEstate/
Wire Fraud Advisory: Never wire money to a source you have not confirmed verbally with the recipient. Wiring instructions will never be sent by me. Only accept them from a reliable confirmed source.